Saturday 5 September 2015

Getting to know Arequipa



Each year I have a review with either HR, the Abancay team leader, or the Peru Director.  I decided to take the opportunity to go to Lima and meet with the Director - but at the same time get to know the city, visit the other SIM missionaries and see what they do, and visit my friend Ruth who I know from England.  I shelled out for the comfortable 180 degrees reclining overnight bus (£20) for the 10 hour journey - and it was totally worth it.
Beautiful snow-covered Chachani, on the outskirts of Arequipa
I thought this was an ingenious method of creating a sprinkler!

I visited:
-          An evening seminary talking about “evangelism and culture”
-          A student Christian group
-          An English class
-          The Shalom school for children with disabilities (not a SIM project, but where Ruth works)

It was lovely to be at the Arequipa team meeting as well - and as a great treat I got to play the piano while we sang amazing hymns!

I spent Saturday with Ruth - we went rafting.  It was amazing - a fun mix of adrenalin and beautiful views!  And despite the photo, not too precarious.  I fell out right at the end in totally flat water - having been easily set up by our guide!
Post-rafting smiles!

I spent 2 days in the Colca canyon.  The idea was to go through my diaries from the past year, evaluating and praying over what has been significant - ready for my annual review.  I did a little bit of walking as well and managed to get to the condor viewpoint - but mostly it was a very restful time and a very productive one, and lovely to spend time away from the city being able to rest in God's amazing creation.  I’ll be trying to plan in something like that more often.
The road along the side of the canyon has to overcome a few challenges!
Apparently condors are best spotted before 8am: I was lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment