Saturday 4 April 2015

Local government

I am so pleased to have got this ball rolling, as it's something I meant to do from the beginning.  The local government has changed over, so I've been waiting til things got settled.


I had a meeting a few weeks ago with the CARE representative here, who works in the local government office.  I came away with lots of reading material, including the standard form for a project request, and lots of information on government-approved designs for water and sanitation systems.  It was great to get all this, as I had a suspicion it must exist somewhere, but now I have tracked it down.  This also means I can coordinate with other people doing projects, make sure I don’t duplicate their work and try to focus on more needy areas. 
First meeting of COMURSABA
The other great thing about the meeting is that it has got me into a network of other people who work in the water and sanitation sector.  The first meeting this year of COMURSABA - the “Regional Multisectoral Committee for Basic Sanitation” was 2 weeks later.  There were people from various government departments and projects, and it’s a good forum for discussion of projects, technologies, approaches - and they keep track of who is working where, so a good way to avoid duplication and coordinate with other organisations.  It also felt great to be back in a professional meeting context.  There’ll be a meeting each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment