Tuesday 31 March 2015

Atancama

Another dental visit, and a village that AIDIA has not visited in the last few years.  We were VERY busy with patients all day, and I had to work hard to keep putting the instruments through the autoclave so they’d be sterilised by the time they were needed again.  I was impressed by the fact we can sterilise, take x-rays, develop the photos... it's got me thinking again of what equipment I might need, and the success we had with the DelAgua water testing kit in Ecuador - both for practical testing purposes and for showing and teaching.  There are a couple of visits planned in April when I have been asked to come as a translator (we have a team coming from the USA) so I have also been listening to learn some more technical dental Spanish.
The autoclave and camping stove which I use for sterilising
Brendan developing an x-ray in the "dark-room"
The literacy and orality teams came too, and we had good times talking with all the people who were waiting for their appointments.  I took down their details which led to a few simple conversations in Quechua - it was a big encouragement to be able to manage this! 
Trying out the tongue-twisters!
Noemi and her bookshop!

Because we were so busy, I didn’t get to nose around looking at the different water infrastructure, but asked a few questions.  We will be visiting again in a couple of months so I can find out more then.  Community development work is largely about building a good relationship, so I am happy with this progress.   
View down from the plaza

On a practical note, I made the important discovery that long sleeves, and leggings tucked into socks are successful in preventing insect bites!  Apart from one very determined fly that bit me through my sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment