Monday 8 August 2016

AIDIA programme in Vilcabamba

Since June, AIDIA has been planning a big programme across all the different ministries, taking a large group to a rural community.  It has been postponed several times and the location has changed even more times... but it finally happened!

We were visited by a group from a Chinese church in Canada, many of whom have come before, and they came with us to Vilcabamba.  The village is reached via a mountain pass at about 4500m, where it's very wild and remote.  I stayed in Abancay to give my music class and joined them a day later, so travelled on my own - it's nice to be confident with the local buses now!


Vilcabamba itself is in a warmer valley - although not that warm as you can see from the photo in the church courtyard:

I went partly to help translate for our English-and-Chinese-speaking visitors, and partly to try out water-related teaching material with the children and adults.

My water-cycle story went down very well as always, and the kids enjoyed various water-y games.  By the end we had many expert water-carriers.


I talked to the adults on Sunday morning, about how physical thirst can help us understand our need for God's Spirit.  Luis, the AIDIA Director, translated into Quechua as we went along, which gave me time to see people's reactions and whether they got the point I was trying to make - they mostly seemed to.  I had good feedback from Luis too, which was very encouraging.
Here we are singing about how God gave water from the rock in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment