Thursday 25 August 2016

Training #2 in Ancobamba

This time with photos, as promised!

First, was the Quechua teaching in the pre-school, and this time I helped!  The topic: parts of the body (complete with stickers) and I have extended my Head-Shoulders-Knees-and-Toes repertoire to three languages - it went down quite well!


We tend to walk round the village making sure the kids remember what day it is and come to the club - so some construction sights/sites along the way: adobe bricks out to dry, and the materials for improved stoves (with 2 rings and a stovepipe rather than open fires).

We had some spare time in the afternoon so I helped out the lady who always feeds us by digging out her drainage ditch.  Sadly I suspect the pigs will soon be wallowing in it again and it will be as bad as ever...

The evening was a strange mix of discouragement and elation... a classic course of events where I am tired and ill-prepared and God comes to the rescue.  We arranged to meet at 5 but of course I didn't expect anyone til about half past.  But when no-one was there at 6, I was feeling very discouraged.  It did mean lots of time for prayer though.

In the end, loads of people came and it was a really good teaching session.  One of the requested topics from the previous session was "Water and Health" so we talked about various ways that water is needed in our bodies, and then what can go wrong when we don't have enough of it.  I've been using the CHE teaching methods from my course in April - and this participatory approach seems to go down very well.

I was also very impressed at the end of the meeting - Vasilia, the nurse who is a huge help in setting up these meetings, has arranged for the water system to be disinfected.  She has even got PPE to distribute to the water board.

They discussed when to do the work, and just by "chance" fixed on the same day as Dina's next visit, when I am also available.

It is great to see that, just by virtue of meeting together every couple of weeks, the water board is becoming more active.  I feel like I'm helping as a catalyst but am not in charge of their decisions - which is as it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment