Thursday 17 November 2016

Ancobamba update

Training in Ancobamba has come up against several obstacles in the last few months.

First, I had to change the day of my visit.  "That's fine" they said, "Come on Friday instead, no problem".  On arrival we discovered the annual celebration of the patron saint was underway - with the whole village involved in special meals, dances, games, general fiesta-participation.  Of course no-one came to the training.

The next week, we drove up to deliver some food boxes (these were donated to AIDIA for distribution to needy families).  We unloaded, with some help from some friends, and were off back to Abancay almost immediately... but did have some time to confirm my next training session, and the dental visit that was coming up.  I even got to drive home!


The dental visit the following week was a big contrast from my first one nearly 2 years ago... now I know so many more people and was able to help things run smoothly, helping prepare the lunch, and keeping the young children (hopefully) cheerful while they had dental work done.  There was no water-related training planned for this visit.

A few days later I was back, to give our postponed training session on water system maintenance.  I had a good chat with the nurse at the health post, who helps me coordinate everything, and we were all set with everyone confirmed for the training.
Then it rained.
I mean a serious, blowing tiles off the roof, soaked within seconds, kind of storm.  It's not surprising that nobody ventured out.
So no training.
The tiny patch of clear sky I could see from my shelter in the health post.
With some persuasion (by the nurse, who is very proactive and helpful), people agreed to come early the following morning instead.  After some waiting, there were eventually 3 of us.  Not enough to give the training, but it was a worthwhile meeting where they settled on some other work that needed to be done.

2 weeks later, off I went again.  Unfortunately, the bus broke down less than an hour out of Abancay.  We waited about 4 hours for the replacement bus to come (it was a nice sunrise) and did get to Ancobamba in the end.  But in the meantime, they had decided I wasn't coming, and the nurse had left to have an unplanned afternoon off.
So no training.
Luggage transfer from the new, broken down, bus, to the ancient-and-with-no-documentation-but-reliable bus.
Finally, last week, we went again.  The bus arrived on time, we had breakfast, had a nap (the bus leaves super-early so we arrive very tired), I did some teaching in the school about the water cycle... Then discovered that while I had been asleep, the water board had had a meeting, made lots of decisions (which is great), one of which was that they weren't going to meet again in the evening.
Again, no training.
But I did find a representative from a government subsidy programme who helpfully gave me a lift down the mountain on his motorbike.  So I could get back to Abancay the same day.

It's pretty encouraging that the water board is now having meetings and making decisions.  They seem to be a lot more proactive than they were when I started visiting.  So that's been worthwhile.  It's just a shame that I have made so many journeys in order to try out training materials, and most of my material has remained un-tried.

But in the meantime, we have still been working with the nursery and the school, running a kids club and helping with literacy, visiting families and holding church services.  So the visits haven't been a dead loss.  But my aim of compiling a set of tried and tested teaching plans is a bit behind schedule!

Dina teaching in the nursery
New friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment