Tuesday 15 November 2016

Filters in use!

Since the workshop we had in September to have a go installing the Sawyer filters, I've been thinking about how we can use them.


Now I've started a pilot project, getting 4 families from AIDIA to try using the filters in their homes.  I've given them free rein to make modifications and set up the filter how best suits them - as long as they share their innovations with me!  I'll visit once a month and get feedback about how it works in practice and any suggestions they make, as well as figuring out how often it needs cleaning.

Here are the first 2 filters with their owners.


I'm giving some training too.  First up, some basic information about how the filter works.  Here are my props: the 4 different types of pathogen found in water (helminth, protozoa, bacteria and virus), and how the filter removes them.  Only viruses can make it through, which means some other treatment is still recommended.


We talked about how the filter should be cleaned... in later visits we'll look at ways to store the filtered water so that it doesn't get re-contaminated.

If the trial goes well, I'll hope to implement a village-wide project in one of the areas where we work - next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment